Jan 31, 2007

Joe Biden, You Are a Blithering Idiot, Sir

Share
Senator Joe Biden, a man whose mouth must now accommodate his footLeft: Senator Joe Biden, a man whose mouth must now accommodate his foot

(Washington, DC) Senator Joe Biden's quote about Barack Obama is one of the most ignorant things I have heard a politician say in years:

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

A couple of names for you, Joe. Jesse Jackson. Alan Keyes. Carol Moseley Braun. Al Sharpton. Shirley Chisholm.

All were black presidential candidates. All were "articulate," "bright," "clean," and at least three were "guys."

I'll leave the "good-looking" part to everyone's personal judgment. Yes, I know I left out Angela Davis, Eldridge Cleaver, and Lenora Fulani, but they were pretty far from the political mainstream. My apologies to any other African-American presidential candidates my tired brain forgot.

Now, I know that there is a contextual component to Biden's remarks, and I doubt that Biden is some kind of closet racist. But for a presidential contender to step on a landmine this explosive - on his first day of real campaigning - does not bode well for the future.

And let's face it - unless Biden was liquored up, there is no explanation for such a complete lack of tact and judgment in a public statement.

Better look for other work in 2009, Joe. You just killed your chances at the Democratic nomination for President.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe it when I heard it, Mike. Biden is politically dead.

microdot said...

Then there was his statement about Delaware wanting to be in the Confederacy but was separated by a few inconvenient states. He made that 2 years ago and I see it quoted in all the articles on his present foot in mouth incident.

Hooda Thunkit said...

The only thing that he might do that would be worse might be to let out a yell/scream ala Dean.

In a way, it reminds me of our (cough) beloved (cough) mayor, my ole bud readyfireaim carleton...

Shot in the foot or foot in mouth, it's politically all the same.

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Try reading the sentence with an extra comma; it takes on a slightly different meaning: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American, who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy." I would be proud to have someone say that about me, and the rest of this comment is based on reading it that way.

"A couple of names for you, Joe. Jesse Jackson. Alan Keyes. Carol Moseley Braun. Al Sharpton. Shirley Chisholm."

None of them were mainstream, as I see it--each had a fairly small following, while Obama is the Tiger Woods of black politicians. The most successful was Jackson, who won the Delaware (ironic, eh?) caucus (and was brilliant reading "Green Eggs and Ham" on Saturday Night Live). None of the others were even close--in fact, neither Jackson nor Sharpton nor Keyes has ever been "mainstream" enough to be elected to any office (whereas at least the two women have been).

And "clean?" If you mean in the sense of bathed, yes, all the candidates you mentioned are clean. But if you think "clean" in the sense of "not encumbered by trunks and trunks of baggage," it takes on a whole different meaning, doesn't it?