Feb 13, 2007

Blizzard of 2007 - More Live Driveway Coverage

(Toledo, OH) This is the latest installment in my live driveway coverage of the Blizzard of 2007. At the moment I think we have between six and seven inches of snow, and the howling winds are definitely blowing the snow around.

In this first picture, I used the flash and tripod, and the snowflakes look thicker and more numerous than they really are.

In the second picture I killed the flash, but kept the tripod. This gives you a better view of the current conditions, in case you live far away, or you are too lazy to walk away from the Internet and see for yourself.

Hello, by the way, to the many hundreds of people around the globe who have been searching for information about the Blizzard of 2007. On a normal day there are 200-300 visitors to this site, but I must be filling an incredible blog void, because my traffic has more than tripled since I started blogging about the Blizzard of 2007 and added a few hyperlinked texts using the phrase "Blizzard of 2007".

This, of course, as compared to a book review I might write for this blog, which could entail 10-15 hours worth of reading and writing and generate, oh, ten visitors a month.

But hey: it's the virtual marketplace of ideas, dude, and millions more people are interested in frozen precipitation than, say, in Vasco da Gama or the Russian multiethnic empire.


Saskboy said...

Super photos.

McCaskey said...

Indeed, great pics of a wondrous Midwest winter night.
I understand why there are those who winter in Florida and the Southwest, but give me the four seasons of the year anytime, including harsh nights like this.
The silence is beautiful, the snow pure and crysteline. It almost shimmers on the ground.
Take a walk (albeit a short one!) on a night like this and you'll never feel more alive. We're lucky to have it.

Dariush said...

Hey, Mike

I saw that Anatol Lieven book on Chechnya that you're currently reading.

Thought you might be interested in this exchange between him and Bernard Henri-Levy last year in The American Prospect.

After reading it, I promptly ordered his book "America Right or Wrong" and found it to be compelling and right on point in its analysis of American nationalism.

Haven't read his Chechnya book yet, nor his latest, "Ethical Realism", but they're both on my list.

MP said...

We officially begin the digout here in Chicagoland.

Dang, what a storm.

Did tough ol' St. Francis survive the snow?

historymike said...

Thanks, Saskboy.

historymike said...

Agreed, McCaskey, that the variety of seasons makes a place like Northwest Ohio quite interesting.

historymike said...


Finishing the Lieven book today, in spite of the high volume of my kids on their second straight snow day.

I'll be posting a review today or tomorrow of the book, which is an excellent look at the First Chechen War and the the rise of the Russian gangsterocracy.