Feb 25, 2007

I Never Watch the Oscars

Share
(Toledo, OH) Given the fact that so many millions of Americans - joined by millions more around the world - watch the Academy Awards, I feel a bit left out the day after the Oscars are handed out. I have never watched much of a single presentation of the Academy Awards, I have stayed away from the last decade or so of shows, and I likely never will bother to watch the Oscars again.

It's not for a lack of interest in cinematography that I avoid this awards show, and I really don't have an axe to grind against the ostentatious displays of the Hollywood elite.

OK, I admit, the material excesses of these celebrities do offend my sensibilities, but that's not the reason I skip the Oscars. The bottom line for me is that I find the shows boring, and even the presence of glib hosts like Billy Crystal or Ellen DeGeneres can't keep my attention from drifting.

I also have little use for the insider mentalité of most of the proceedings. I will never be a part of that incestuous realm, and watching members of these Hollywood cliques pat themselves on the back gets old. Fast.

I save my appreciation for the art of cinematography for a night out to the theater, or by renting a particular film. I share my opinions about the relative merits of a film with friends or with a blog post.

But I will never find much use for the self-congratulatory exercise in public narcissism that is the Oscar ceremonies, and I suppose I will always be such a curmudgeonly misfit in this regard.

7 comments:

McCaskey said...

Although I completely understand your sentiments regarding this topic, I confess to watching most years. Why, I'm not really sure...

This year's show was fairly lackluster, but the guy who 'invented the Internet' did win an Oscar, and HM, out of appreciation and respect for the inventor of the medium to which you contribute (and no doubt profit!) so much from, you should have watched and applauded!!!

McCaskey said...

LOL, wow, did I ever mangle that last sentence.

The hour is late. Perhaps McCaskey should head to bed.

microdot said...

Al Gore did win an Oscar and was in the midst of making an announcement when the band cut in...
McCaskey, if you ever bothered to read an interview with Al Gore you find that he is a man who is very good at poking humor at himself. The myth that he proclaimed himself "Inventor of the Internet" came from a 1999 intterview in Wired Magazine and was a self referencing joke. The comment was taken out of context and has reached mythological dimensions as conservative commentators mindlessly parroted each other ad nauseum.
2 Years ago, the editor of Wired made an attempt to correct the situation in interviews and in his own Magazine, but as we have seen time and time again, once the sensationalist smear machine starts, the lie is out there and many people only believe what they choose to believe and are very selective about what they choose as truth!

Hooda Thunkit said...

And, here I was thinking that I was not watching the awards.

In my world, the Academy Awards is nothing but a big convention of whores.

That's the same reason that I very rarely patronize the movies, as that to me would be contributing to them and encouraging their nasty ways. . .

McCaskey said...

Whoa there, Microdot...

I was being sarcastic and having a little fun with HM. I'm an Al Gore fan. Voted for him in 2000. Would probably vote for him again if he ran in 2008 (he won't).

In essence, if Al Gore can poke some fun at himself over the 'father of the internet' thing, so can those who voted for and are generally supportive of him.

I'm glad he won an Oscar Sunday night, at least in part because it drives conservatives batty. Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, etc. will be braying and whining about it all week long.

microdot said...

McCaskey, sorry if I went off and after reading your post, you certainly didn't ask for it!
I read it at 6:30 am, (my time) waiting for my wife to get out of the shower and before my Monday morning language class.
I read the "inventor of the internet" comment and went into an almost automatic reaction....
Sometimes it's tough fighting for truth, justice and the American way and uhhh...my cape is at the dry cleaners.

McCaskey said...

We're good. No problem.