Feb 6, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: DASYPHYLLOUS

Share
This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

dasyphyllous (dah-SIFF-ih-luss) adj. Relating to botany, this word is used to described a plant with hairy or downy leaves.

The word dasyphyllous probably received more exposure from its inclusion in the finals of the 2006 Scripps National Spelling Bee than in its entire history. Canadian contestant Finola Hackett, from Tofield, Alberta, correctly spelled this unusual word.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this girl I knew gave me dasyphyllous once.

--JD

historymike said...

Heh.

I should have seen that one coming when I put the pronunciation of dasyphyllous in there.

microdot said...

Oh Lordy Lord,
I gots them dasyphyllous blues again..
I woke up this mornin,
Both cars were gone...
Woke up this mornin...
Both cars were gone
I felt so low down deep inside,
I threw my drink across the lawn...
O Lordy, Lord
Gots them dasyphyllous blues agin!!!!