Mar 26, 2007

Listening to the Birds

Share
The American Robin, Turdus migratoriusThe American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

Many mornings start for me with one of the cable news programs, as I am something of a news junkie. I chose instead to start this day by listening to the sounds of the birds in my neighborhood.

One of the first birds to start singing this morning was a Northern cardinal, which has an unmistakeable collection of songs. I next noticed several American robins singing to each other, faint echoes bouncing between the nearby houses.

Mourning doves can often be heard at dawn and dusk in my neighborhood, and a pair of these lonesome-sounding birds answered each other several times a minute. We have a seemingly endless supply of House wrens that gather near my house, and their rhythmic chirping served as background to the solos of the other birds that sang today.

If you click on the above links you can hear the individual songs of the birds. I think I will record the collective avian symphony some morning to share the music of my neighborhood with others.

For me listening to birds is a form of meditation, a way to temporarily clear my head of anxieties and stress. I only wish I had more time to while away in the reverie of the natural music that surrounds us.

4 comments:

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Maybe this is just a sign of how juvenile I am...but I laughed hysterically when I read the robin's scientific name. I actually was in such disbelief that I looked it up to make sure one of your kids wasn't pulling a prank on you.

historymike said...

Yes, my inner Butthead also found funny the Latin name of the American robin.

Huh huh, huh huh... he wrote "turd." Huh huh, huh huh...

kooz said...

Must be nice...My mornings start off by hearing my inconsiderate neighbor playing rap music at ungodly volumes...

"Boom" "Boom" "Ba" "Boom"...

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

Your preference for the songs of birds over that of the talking heads shows that you still have all of your marbles; and they're in the right pockets too!

;-)