Mar 10, 2007

On Pierced Nipples and Impulsivity

Share
So today I find out that my oldest son got his nipples pierced. Not this son, who I wrote about the other day, but his older brother, who I thought was past the age of impulsive stupidity.

No, this is not a photo of his studded glory; I pulled this public domain image from About.com. When you look at this, do you think "beautiful?" Personally, I think "gross," but I might just be old-fashioned.

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, but I just don't understand this fascination with metallic additions to a person's physique. He already got his ears pierced, and also dashed off to the tattoo parlor within weeks of his 18th birthday to add body "art" to his list of physical modifications.

These, of course, are the items that I am aware of, via gabby siblings. I'm not sure if I really want to know if his nipples are the true extent of his piercings.

My wife is quite angry about this, especially coming at a time when this particular son moved back home to get his finances in order. Instead of paying down his debts, he is wasting money on goofiness like pierced nipples. And really - is it too much for us to expect our son to set some sort of example for his brothers and sisters, especially when he is living rent-free under our roof?

And did Mr. Genius stop and think about the health risks associated with body piercings? Likely not; he is at that age when he believes that bad things only happen to other people, that deluded teenage belief in personal invincibility.

Anyways, thanks for allowing me to vent, and thus sparing my kid another half-hour harangue.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gross picture. Anyone who finds that sexy is warped. You have my permission to take a 2x4 to your kid, Mike.

historymike said...

(takes 2x4 and waits at front door for errant kid)

Anonymous said...

It would be better to pull on the studs.

--JD

John Spalding said...

I am sure your 19 year old is glad you vented here, by now he is probably tired of the "you shouldn't do that" argument. He is probably going through depression after having messed up finances and having to move back home. He needs some sort of release too!

Lisa Renee said...

Erin turned 18 last week, and two days ago she got her nose pierced since I would not sign permission for it before. I suppose the bright side to your son and my daughter is at least they didn't get tattoos...

:-)

microdot said...

I worked doing movie makeup for about 10 years...my speciality was recreating and designing tattoos using a special application process.
During that period, I had to extensive research to find authentic designs and got to know a lot of the name tattoo artists on the East Coast and in France. At one time, I might have thought it would have been neat to have a tattoo, but after seeing thousands of really bad tattoos and what happen to them with the passage of time...no thanks.
It's a very strange social thing, before 1980, tattoos and piercings were a way of proclaiming one to be out of the bounds of normal society.
It was always seized upon by behaviorialists as evidence of anti social tendencies. Now I laugh when I am around people comparing their latest work, asking who did itt and how much it cost. Now it's a social initiation ritual. Remember how odd it was in the 70's to see men having a pierced ear. Now, you wouldn't look twice or even think about it.
The good thing is as it was said above, a piercing will heal....
Though, a pierced nipple? Talk to that boy!!!!

MP said...

Well, the picture might be considered beautiful...

...in another universe or something.

Thanks for creating that "gross-out" moment for my morning, Mike. Really, I appreciate it.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Hey Mike,

Just rip em out and hand "studly" a couple of Kleenex...

It wouldn't be the PC thing to do, but it will get your message across :-)

Friendly User said...

There are many cultures and subcultures in life that can't identify with. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. If one thing in life belongs to your son, that's his body. I can almost guarantee that this was not an impulse. He thought about this for a long time, It was a personal decision, for his body and no one Else's. Self expressing is somthing you should encourage. Body modifications from all walks of life are ridiculed by walks in others. You picked a heavily scarred picture to depict your sons nipples, no wonder no one like the flick. Once upon a time pierced ears were views with the same disdain you show. One only needs to venture to the BME blog to see how tame his are. When he is a father his kids will come home with something else will come to give him to blog about.

Daniel Culveyhouse said...

I personally think that everyone has the right to do whatever they want to themselves, so long as:

1) s/he is not seriously damaging his/her health, and...
2) s/he is not putting anyone else in danger.

Your son is not committing either of the above. So what's the big deal? The piercing barely costs $30 total.

My boyfriend (yes I'm gay) is the most clean-cut midwestern guy you would ever know, yet when the shirt comes off, both of his nipples are pierced (perfectly, like an accent to an already great body).

See?

-Daniel

Reusable Nipple Covers said...

I'm not really a great fan of nipple piercings. Beside the fact that it does look painful, but it also looks odd to me.