Mar 4, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: HOHENZOLLERN

Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

Hohenzollern (HOE-ehn-zoe-lern) n. The dynastic family name of electors, kings, and emperors of Swabia, Prussia, Germany, Romania, and a host of smaller principalities and margraves.

As a European historian, I was previously familiar with the Hohenzollern name, but I posted it here to try to pound the proper spelling into my head. I always want to spell it "Hozenhollern," and I am hopeful that this post will be as beneficial to me as it might be for people unfamiliar with the history of the Hohenzollerns.

The website of the House of Hohenzollern contains a great deal of information about these Prussian aristocrats, including a family tree should the Hohenzollerns ever decide to return to one of their thrones.

No comments: