Apr 30, 2007

Department of Brilliant Ideas

(Toledo, OH) I had to purchase an HP replacement printer cartridge today, as my children and their incessant desire to print out every interesting item they find on the Internet drained all the ink from the cartridge.

Just as I was about to print an important, time-sensitive document, but I digress.

The point to this post is that the new cartridge came with a self-addressed, no-postage-necessary envelope with which to place the spent cartridge. I thought that this was perhaps the most brilliant innovation I have seen from the corporate world since... well... the auto beverage cupholder or something.

Anyways - even the laziest of consumers no longer has an excuse to toss the old cartridge in the trash. Just stick it in the envelope, seal, and place in the nearest mailbox.

Kudos to Hewlett-Packard!


Kathleen Marie said...

I agree...this is a great idea.

mist1 said...

I buy those too. It's so much easier than trying to find a local recycling program which is what I used to do.

MP said...

Maybe Toledo should open a plant to receive these spent cartridges. Seems like a good, environmentally sound idea that would create jobs.

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Some office supply stores will give you a free ream of paper if you can hang on to the empty until the next time you visit. Unfortunately, some of them have restrictions on brand of cartridge; I don't remember if HP is one of them.

SensorG said...

There are a bunch of places that let schools do fund raisers around recycling printer cartridges and cell phones.


Hooda Thunkit said...


And, it'll keep our "garbage tax" (A "tax" that is pure garbage) from increasing next year.

Riiggghhhhtttttt. . .

Darn... sarcasm alert.