Apr 8, 2007

I Have Seen the Future of Blogging, and Her Name is Mist 1

I read a lot.

Books, magazines, newspapers, blogs, cereal boxes... my non-writing day is filled with reading, and I approach my reading with a zeal that borders on the compulsive.

Needless to say, much of what I read is not particularly remarkable (no offense to writers of text on cereal boxes). On occasion, though, I come across writing that is compelling and possesses a skill level that gives me hope for the future of literature.

Such is the case with Mist 1, whose current blog bears the title "To Do: 1. Get Hobby, 2. Floss." Equal parts Hunter S. Thompson, Mark Childress, and Dorothy Parker, Mist 1 displays an enviable sense of wit and timing that translates well into a blog format. Here is a sample paragraph from a recent post entitled "Gift Idea" about directions and traveling:
A few months ago, Mom gave me an atlas. She smiled at me warmly and told me that she would rest better knowing that I kept it in my car. Now I have an atlas in my car. I feel like one of those people with a Bible in their cars. I always think that they drive around with Bibles because they don't have insurance. I try to drive extra carefully when I am around them. Although, for a few years, I had a piece of turquoise in my car in lieu of insurance. It is supposed to to have protective qualities. I totally believe in the power of turquoise because when I rolled that vehicle down the side of a mountain with a recalled seatbelt, I walked away with only one little cut caused by the large knives that flew up from the backseat. I had a perfectly logical reason for having knives in the backseat.
I laughed out loud this dreary day reading some of Mist 1's prose, and this was a morning in which my sinuses caused my head to pound like a pianist wearing heavy wool mittens.

Read. Enjoy. Find some SineAid.


mist1 said...

I absolutely stunned to be the first to comment here. Clearly, many of your readers write cereal box copy and you have offended them. I suggest that tomorrow you write a post that is titled something along the lines, "There Are 7 Servings Per Container and It IS A Good Source of Fiber and 14 Vitamins and Minerals."

historymike said...

You may be right that I cultivate a readership of cereal box copy writers, Mist 1.

I will contemplate your advice in my efforts to lure these folks back here.

C said...

I luv Mist too. She rocks.

Anonymous said...

Or maybe it's that she's as funny as testicular cancer.

Javier Marti said...

The title of your post, including the words "future" was a trap I fell on...anyway, I read it and will check mist.
However, since I am here maybe you want to write with us or can help us in our searc for good writers...
I am Javier, the founder of Trendirama.com, the fastest growing community of amateur writers writing about The Future of everything. We would like to invite you and your readers to join us and write an article on the website, perhaps "The future of search/google" (we don't have any on that!) or on anything you are passionate about...
It is up to you, you choose the subject.
You would get a link back when you link to your own article, if you wish.
(You can even re-use some of your already published material, in the last part of the article, "your view and comments". That would save you time and still be interesting for readers.)
And yes, I know you may not have the time. Theoretically, none of us do...;)

Failing that, if you like the project and you can help us spread the word -even if you don't write- it would be great.
Since we are starting, any help is appreciated.

By making this valuable information available online for free, I truly believe we are helping to make the world a better place.
And you could do your bit for the world too, by sharing what you know, as we already do.

Please let us know if you link or mention us, so we can link you back too if you wish.
You can even use our valuable articles on your websites, provided that you link back. Any better offer than that?! :)

Look forward to hearing from you or reading your interesting article at Trendirama!

Best regards
Javier Marti

Do said...

Dry humor based on real life. Easy to identify with, impossible to discount!

I wholeheartedly understand the post you referred to - seeing as my mother was very much like Mist1's mom. Instead of turquoise I carried a little gold plated angel in the glove box. I just knew she had more power than the insurance company!

As for the atlas ... Mother always said it was so that no matter where I wandered I could always find my way home.

As if there was ever any doubt...

LTLOP said...

That reminds me of comedian from a few yrs ago with the song "I don't care if it rains or freezes as long as I got my plastic Jesus!"

Hooda Thunkit said...

Don't forget the plastic St. Christopher, the bane of insurance companies ;-)

And the GOOD ones glowed in the dark too!