Dear Mike:As I have endured similar emails and pointed barbs in the comments section in the past, I have to admit I no longer get worked up when I read letters like these.
I used to read your work regularly, but I can't stand the paid posts you are putting up. I won't say I'll never visit again, but whenever I think of your site all I can think of are those obnoxious ads. You used to post a lot of cutting edge material but now you have gone commercial. You must be losing a lot of readers.
A few thoughts, since this letter is similar in concept to others I have received (name withheld):
1. Sorry, but I live in a capitalist world, and I have bills to pay like everyone else. Running a site like this takes quite a few hours a week, and if I do not derive some income from the site, I cannot justify the time. When the revolution comes, and we all live in some sort of socialist paradise, let me know and I will drop the ads.
2. I am not sure what "cutting edge material" I no longer provide. I think my wide interests have stayed the same, although I have spent less time on political essays of late due to time constraints.
3. I usually provide a headline that makes ads stick out, so I would suggest just skipping the ads if you are that offended.
4. Do you rail against all forms of advertising, or just that which is found on blogs? It is hard to find a media site without advertising these days, but there are a few.
5. My readership fluctuates with the material I post. If something I write gets picked up by a major media site, my traffic goes through the roof. On the whole, though, this site averages a little under eight thousand unique visitors a month. Not bad for a gangly white guy who grabs the tough boards but who should never be allowed to take 3-pointers.