May 25, 2007

Contest: How High Will Gas Get?

Share
Left: Speedway station at Secor and Laskey, Thursday May 24, 2007

(Toledo, OH) Given the fact that there is not much we can do about the rapidly rising price of gas, I thought it might be entertaining to hold a blog contest for site visitors to guess the highest price of gas this summer at the Speedway station I pass every day at Secor and Laskey.

To sweeten the deal, let's throw in some prizes: First place (price closest to the actual high for the summer ending September 4, 2007 at 12:00 am) wins a $20 Speedway gas card. Second place wins a new (or nearly new, if I like it and read it) book sent to me by one of the many publishing houses who want me to review texts.

In the case of a tie, I will flip a coin.

I will not be participating in the contest, as I am the sole judge, but I will say now that I believe this station will hit a high of $3.89 a gallon some time this summer.

I will update the site with a new post every time the station hits a new high, and keep a running list of participants. Use the comments section to post your guess, and may the luckiest reader win!

A few rules: One entry per person, and entries must be posted by Wednesday, May 30. I have post-dated this entry so that it will stay at the top of the blog for the next seven days, thus giving everyone a fair shot at seeing this post.

PS - if you do not have a Google or Blogger account, please use some identifying name in the post comments section. You can email me at mbrooks AT utnet DOT utoledo DOT edu so that your email is not posted in the comments section.

PPS- Any links to this post would be appreciated, especially since I am forking out the magic $20 card. My sneaky ulterior motive is to hope that this post gets picked up and I benefit from the link love and increased site traffic.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

$4.19 a gallon. I'll email you my address for the card, since Jesus told me I'm winning. hehehe.

JD, San Antonio.

Kurt said...

$3.799

progressivetoledo@gmail.com

HumboldtsClio said...

4.09, probably near labor day, the result of another "crisis" in the middle east, or an "accident" that shuts down a refinery or two. Conveniently, of course.

linda p said...

$4.10 a gallon by July 4 then going down. I'll email you, don't want the bots to get my emauil!!!

Timothy said...

$4.24 late in the summer amidst a Gulf Hurricane panic.

Historychic said...

$4.01 a gallon.

nikthehistorian.blogspot.com

M A F said...

Ah, since it is all in fun anyway...I'll go higher than all those that came before me.

$4.49 a gallon, premium of course.

Mad Jack said...

$3.999

Kat said...

4.50
I hope it doesn't but I won't be shocked.

Michael said...

How about $3.59 for unleaded?
Mike

Suss said...

$1, Bob.

Wait ... wrong game show.

Roo said...

$3.89/gal

(aka DoKnowDoCare) :)

microdot said...

After the ominous message from the prez yesterday about Iraq (things will get bloody in August) and Mr. Cheneys reported end run around the president to push his offensive on Iran and his new directive to assume new executive super powers in case of a crisis....how about $6.24?
If I am right, I will come to Toledo to accept my Speedway card and stand on a balcony and throw it to the gas starved masses and watch the ensuing frenzy.

Kooz said...

I don't think it will go much higher this summer.

I say $3.69.9

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Dangit, Kooz took my guess. So I'll do $3.65 instead. (I'm so juvenile that I was so looking forward to betting on $3.69.)

Jaan Kanellis said...

$3.76

Anonymous said...

$4.09 a gallon. Actually anything over $4 a gallon. That will make the Blade happy. They want gasoline prices to be high as those in Europe. Maybe if the Blade looked at their bills to run their trucks they'd change their mind and want lower prices.

Anonymous said...

Countless numbers of innocent familes, some wildlife, and a fleeting chance of utopia.

Amirite?

Hooda Thunkit said...

I know I missed the deadline, so let me just offer a comment.

I only saw three valid prices.
Kurt's, Mad Jack's and Kooz's

I'm glad I'm not the judge on this one ;-)

Hooda Thunkit said...

BTW, Anon #2, the Blade's trucks are mostly LNG vehicles. . .