May 29, 2007

Looking for Mechanical Advice

Left: The bane of my landscaping existence

I have a Toro gas-powered weed trimmer that will start right up, but which dies within seconds of starting. It seems like the blasted machine is not getting gas, and the problem seems to happen whether or not I am revving the throttle.

Also, the problem occurred after it had been running for about 15 minutes, which makes it even more strange.

I tried yanking the plug and cleaning it, but I am looking for advice on my next move. By the way, in an unrelated note , here is a quick plug for Cunningham golf cart parts, if you happen to be repairing a golf cart. Quality merchandise from a reputable firm.


microdot said...

dirt in fuel line!
I had an old Mazda which ran for years...then one day it quit, miles away from home in the middle of nowhere. When I went back to retrieve the car the next day, it started right up and I drove home. I was driving it to my garagist and it quit on a steep hill. I had to hike the rest of the way to Hautefort and the garagist's wife drove me back. It started up, I drove it to the garage, of course it worked fine when he checked it out. We got in the car and drove it and on a hill, it cut out again.
A light went on in Mr. Lafaye's brain and he asked where it quit each time and it was always on a hill. That's what it was, dirt in the tank! Just enough so that when I was at the same angle, enough would drift into the fuel line to stop the engine.
Your Toro is much smaller and a few grains of sediment is all it takes to produce the problem.
Now ask me about the tiny plug of mud in the exhaust vent of my weed whacker and how insanely long it took for me to figure that one out!

historymike said...

Thanks, Microdot. That will be my next step once it cools down here.

Hooda Thunkit said...

If you leave fuel in your machine over Winter like I did, without putting in any fuel stabilizer, like I did, empty the tank, change the fuel filter, refuel with FRESH fuel and it'll probably work just fine, provided that the spark plug is also clean and dry.

That, my good man is $128 worth of free advice; free to you, that is.

However, it did cost me the $128. . .

Thick fuel for dummies, lesson 1