May 4, 2007

On Emergency Sirens and Changing Times

I heard the siren first from the west, a low-moaning rumble that quickly slid upward in pitch to the telltale whine.

The emergency alert sirens are tested on the first Friday of the month exactly at noon, and - even when I remember what day it is - I always pause to listen to the sound of the sirens.

My house is fairly close to one of the 120 emergency warning sirens in Lucas County, and I am near enough that I can hear the siren wind back down to a sort of chattering wheeze after the 60-second test.

I am old enough to know that these were once referred to as "air raid sirens," growing up as a kid in the 1960s and 1970s when we were more concerned in Detroit about Russian nukes than tornadoes. The county website provides information about the emergency siren uses, but does not indicate if the sirens would be used during, say, a nuclear attack or some sort of terrorist plot.

When I was young I used to wonder what would happen if the nukes really came, and if I would ever see my family again. I saw enough of those public service announcements and films about nuclear catastrophe to forever etch this scenario in my head.

These days, though, few people seem concerned about nuclear war, even though the number of nations with nuclear capabilities has increased, and the possibility that nuclear devices will find their way into the hands of political extremists is greater than ever.

I guess I am just a relic of a bygone era, a throwback to those funny days of Duck and Cover and Protect and Survive. Ha! What crazy people we were, worrying about The Bomb!


Omar Cruz said...

This page is fantastic, the infomation you show us is really interesting and is good written. Do you want to see something more? you can visit too: The pertinent drugs based on canabinoides were reviewed. Decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States and cases at level were evaluated federal name that they involve medicinal use of legal highs.
Head Shop, Herbal Grinders
Bongs, Glass Pipe. Visit us for more info at:

MP said...

Or for Supreme Court decisions, oral argument transcripts, and pending dockets, visit

'W' has just over a year left to re-start the Cold War, if he hasn't already.

I quote the great Seymour Skinner:

"They laughed at me for teaching the "duck and cover method...well, who's laughing now?!"

Hooda Thunkit said...

"Ha! What crazy people we were, worrying about The Bomb!"

But when we got "The Bomb," WE used it.

Does anyone today doubt that the very same feeling exists among the newer kids on the block?

Most that have developed "The Bomb" since we had were wise enough to understand it for what it is.

These new kids on the nuclear block though, think of it as an answer to their prayers, and can hardly wait to kill the infidels, making themselves martyrs in the process.