Jun 4, 2007

Get Ready for "Noah, the Musical"

Left: Promotional image from 'Noah, the Musical'

(Branson, MO) Considering the success of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, I suppose that a musical based upon the Biblical story of Noah is not so surprising. Still, there is a part of me that cringes at the commercialization of religion, especially the Christianity to which I adhere.

This is Branson, Missouri, though, and we shouldn't expect any less than an extravanganza. The Sight & Sound Theatre will open in the Spring 2008, and its 339,000 square feet will host a production with a cast of 45 actors, 150 live animals and a like number of animatronic beasts.

Two by two they will march in the facility, which will become the largest piece of Branson real estate, at least in terms of buildings. The theater is being built by Glenn and Shirley Eschelman, whose 2,000-seat Millennium Theatre in Strasburg, PA is the largest faith-based professional theater company in the country.

"I'm so excited about being part of that culture that it really confirmed in me again that it's a fit like a hand in a glove," Eschelman said. "It's a place that God has called us to with people of like faith and the same values that we have."

Hmmm... images of Christ and the moneychangers in the temple keep popping into my head, but admittedly I am a curmudgeon.


righteous_follower said...

John 2:13-16

When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!"

I'm just sayin!

historymike said...

Preaching to the choir here, righteous follower.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Heh, I can see the modern version in my mind.

I wonder if anyone will drive out the peddlers and hucksters in the Branson incarnation...

Anonymous said...

We are living in an age blessed with amazing technology. Theatre has been used to convey Biblical stories and thematic messages for a long time. This is an opportunity for someone who may not enter a church to be exposed to a little Truth. If you did research into the company, maybe you would not be so quick to judge. Music, lights, dramatic interpretation...all of these can be used to bring a story and a message from the Bible to life. You are so quick to quote the Bible...but let he without sin cast the first stone.

From...A Follower of Christ who uses her performing abilities to reach people for HIM

Branson Hotels said...

Hmmm I'll have to check out the musical when I get there. Are there any good Branson hotels near the theaters?

Devona said...

My kids enjoyed Noah-the musical out of the few other
Branson shows they've seen.