Jun 3, 2007

Questionable Choice of a Business Name

Loss Realty Group, Toledo OH (Toledo, OH) I have often wondered about the decision-making that went behind the choice of "Loss Realty Group" as the moniker for a local real estate agency.

The terms "loss" and "real estate" carry an inherently negative connotation when used together, kind of like "hooker" and "STD" might.

I'm sure the hardworking realtors at Loss Realty Group provide as much professional real estate expertise as any other firm, but you have to wonder what it's like to start out with a name that implies failure.

By the way - if you would like to make money blogging, follow this link to PayU2Blog.com. I have been quite pleased with this new company, and highly recommend them.


Anonymous said...


Roo said...


Loss Realty was started by Clifford Loss. Hence the name. He passed away last fall and now his son Jim is the head honcho.

MP said...

Thank you for writing about a topic that I have wondered about for many, many years.

And while I feel bad that the founder is dead, you still really do have to wonder about the company name.

historymike said...

Yes, thanks Roo. Makes more sense, although even if my last name was "urban blight," I still would choose a different name for a real estate company.

Roo said...

I'm not saying that it doesn't have its own brand of irony, just explaining where the name came from.

When I first came to Toledo I saw one of their signs and thought to myself, "What the heck???" But after having gotten to know them and the story, I can see it differently now.

Plus - when the company was started the word LOSS was not associated with real estate freely. Things were much, much better.