Jun 22, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: WROTH

Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

wroth (rawth) adj. Extreme anger; condemnatory; vehemently incensed; indignant; full of wrath.

Derived from the Old English word wrāth, the archaic word wroth is indeed related to the noun wrath. I came across the word whilst reading the King James Version of the Gospel of Matthew, specifically chapter 18, verse 34 in the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
In addition to its spiritual benefits, the King James Version of the Bible offers a wealth of late medieval and early modern words like "wroth," and acts as a sort of linguistic history to the English language, oh ye of little or no faith.



Stephanie said...

I actually really like "wroth," but I tend to be partial to archaic English. While I don't mimick the phraseology -- too many people would fail to understand me -- I do like to sprinkle those old words back into usage.

Besides, it's kind of fun to be accused of "making that up" and to be able to prove people wrong.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Sounds like a word of mayoral note ;-)