Jul 26, 2007

"Crying Indian" Public Service Announcement, 1971

You know that you are a geezer if you can recall seeing this video on television:

I was a wee lad of seven when this came out, but it is one of those memories that is etched into my head. This is probably in part responsible for my compulsion to want to pick up trash when I see it on the ground.

Unfortunately, the Urban Legends website indicates that the star of the spot - "Chief" Iron Eyes Cody - was not of Native American extraction, and even the tear was faked.

Go figure...

1 comment:

Hooda Thunkit said...

Thanks Mike..., for shattering the illusion ;-)

It still remains a very powerful statement, one that I wish our current generation would pick up on and put into practice; because it is the right thing to do, not for any political reason.