Jul 31, 2007

Culture Shock

Share
(Three Rivers, MI) While biking out in an isolated rural area I came upon these shotgun shells. Being someone born and raised in the city, they seemed an oddity.

In deer country, though, shotgun shells are as common in the woods as horse flies.

Of course, when I see empty shotgun shells side-by-side with crushed beer cans, I am glad that my travels rarely take me into areas heavily populated with November's deer hunters. Nearly as common as empty 12-gauge shells are signs declaring a particular stretch of woods as private property, so I guess I am not alone in my wariness of those drunken hunters who give the sport a bad name. I'll just make sure not to invest in outdoor chandeliers should I ever move to the country.

2 comments:

Hooda Thunkit said...

...so I guess I am not alone in my wariness of those drunken hunters who give the sport a bad name."

The ones that survive. . .

The addition of beer to shotguns often proves itself to be an extra dose of chlorine in the gene pool. . .

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Sometimes, I fantasize to myself that the beers are there to celebrate the excellent shots they made while sober.

The rest of the time, I'm just glad that Ohio doesn't allow rifle hunting of deer (shotgun slugs don't travel nearly as far as rifle rounds).