Jul 5, 2007

On the Inadequacies of Midweek Holidays

Share
This year the Fourth of July fell on a Wednesday, leaving us without a natural place to create a long holiday weekend. Thus, even in my summer of underemployment, I find myself this week having to work on Tuesday and Thursday, with a short one-day holiday as a break.

True, I did spend most of it sitting around and reading, with occasional signs of work-related behaviors, such as taking out the trash or doing the dishes. Still, there is something especially envigorating about a long holiday weekend that a one-day holiday can never fill, particularly that carefree sense of routine-breaking that accompanies a four-day stretch of freedom.

So it's back to work for me today, feeling as I do a smidgen shortchanged by the calendar. I would vow to make up for the brevity of the Fourth by taking a longer Labor Day holiday, but by then school will be in session, and I am sure that I will spend most of that break grading papers, spending time on class prep, and working on the course requirements for my own classes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell - I had to work yesterday, too!

historymike said...

True: I should count my blessings.