Aug 2, 2007

Lakeside Sunrise

Share
(Jones, MI) Pictured on your left is a small private lake nestled on 95 acres in rural western Michigan, south of Kalamazoo. Standing on the lake's edge I saw great blue herons and geese, busy doing whatever it is that waterfowl do when the sun rises.

It is peaceful moments like this that tempt me to contact a real estate broker and move out of the city, chucking the aggravations of traffic, smog, and noise in favor of the tranquility of life in the country.

Of course, as someone who has lived virtually his entire life in busy cities, it is easy for me to wax poetic about the natural beauty that can be found in abundance in places like western Michigan. I get positively giddy when I see Mallard ducks in a city park, so I am hardly one to draw upon a long history of communing with nature.

Still, there is something primordial and visceral about watching the flight of a heron, or seeing a doe and her fawns crossing the road in front of you. Without slipping into a naïve Romanticist nature-worship, one gets a sense of the eternal when watching the sun rise on an isolated lake.

4 comments:

microdot said...

Take it from me, a city boy who lived in apartments and slums all my life until I was in my late 40's.....
Wax poetic, that's beginning, the next step is to do it. Go there, be a part of it. Find your corner in the world with your own lake, you aren't giving any thing up....you are gaining a whole new life.
I did it with really no money......
I came to France in 1986 as a paid vacation and got lost driving in the Dordogne and realized that this is where I had always wanted to be.
A few years later, I was putting money down ona real estate deal for a little farmhouse no one wanted...
I sold that, used the money( Iwas able to pay cash!) to buy a much bigger property and a house that no one wanted at the end of a road in the middle of nowhere, now it is the most beautiful house I have ever seen! If you dare to dream it, you can have it!

Man with the Muck-rake said...

Thanks for the virtual visit to the lakeside.

Ah! Peace and quiet.

Chad said...

Hey Mike....

Nice vacation for my head:-) I too have always been a city dweller, but often head to the mountains west of Denver for a retreat. Sometimes we hit the Grand Canyon area and other remote locations that have very few humans.

One nice spot closer to home is Dale Hollow lake in TN. An early morning fishing trip, the sun rising over the water and the natural elements of life bring tranquility to my otherwise chaotic life.

When life gets annoying, I like to think about moving to a cabin in the mountains and living off the land. Now that's a shade of dreamer as my idea of "roughing it" is no room service. I just don't see how I'd survive..hehe:-)

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

Thanks for the virtual vacation; it was way too brief ;-)