Aug 11, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: COMITY

Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

comity (KAH-mih-tee) n. friendly atmosphere, especially in social settings; mutual courtesy; civility between nations; a standard of etiquette that governs the interactions of courts in different states, localities and foreign countries.

Legal beagles, of course, are quite familiar with this term, which is derived from the Latin word comitas ("courteousness"). I came across it in the sense of the "comity of nations," which is a concept in rare supply these days.

Should I ever need the services of a New York car accident lawyer, I will now be able to impress said barrister with my command of this basic legal term, though I suspect my successful settlement might bring him or her greater joy.

No comments: