Sep 6, 2007

Finally: The NFL Season Begins

Share
Colts WR Marvin Harrison making a diving catch

At long last, it is here: the start of the NFL season.

Tonight's season opener features Peyton Manning and the defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts hosting the New Orleans Saints in what might be a preview of Super Bowl XLII. Two of the best offenses will be squaring off in what looks to be a high-scoring affair, and I predict a shootout with a 38-31 Colts victory.

I am a die-hard, full-blown NFL fan, and my love of the game is complemented by my concurrent addiction to fantasy football. The arrival of February - with the passing of the championship - ushers in a period of deep gloom that is only mitigated for me by the NFL preseason in August.

Listen: I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or cruise for restroom sex, so I think I am entitled to at least one vice. Thus, if you attempt to contact me between 8:30 pm EST and midnight, chances are I will be glued to the television set.

The key to this game, in my opinion, will be the Colts' ability to get pressure on Saints QB Drew Brees. The Saints ground game, led by RBs Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush, will get their yards, but Indianapolis must keep Brees from executing fast-tempo scoring drives with deep balls to WRs Marques Colston and Devery Henderson.

Given the size mismatch between the offensive line of the Saints and the defensive line of the Colts, this will not be an easy task.

Anyways, enjoy the game, you football-starved NFL fans!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No way. Saints by 10, 31-21 over the Colts. Indy's lost too many quality starters.