Sep 16, 2007

Gosh - Iraq War Was Really About Oil?

Share
The blogosphere and Sunday morning talk shows are all abuzz today with the news that former Fed chairman Alan Greenspan acknowledged that the Iraq War was really initiated over concerns about control of oil supplies.

Well, after hearing this news you could have knocked me over with a blue jay feather. After all, President Bush assured me in 2002 and 2003 that the invasion was necessary to prevent Saddam Hussein from using his weapons of mass destruction to annhilate people around the world. Then he let me know that Hussein and al-Qaeda were plotting terror together.

And he also told me that the war was a way to bring freedom and democracy to the Iraqi people. Freedom and democracy are good things, right?

But now here comes Alan Greenspan: "I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows. The Iraq war is largely about oil."

Huh?

Gosh, if that is true, then that means my President has been lying to me all along. I think that Mr. Greenspan is just telling a pack of lies to sell his new book, because I cannot reconcile these disclosures with the President's speeches. Why, if that were true, we would at least have $1.30 per gallon gas here in America, right? Yes, that crazy old Alan Greenspan must be an al-Qaeda plant or something, and we'd better haul him off to Guantanamo Bay before he causes any more trouble.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you really think they will put Greenspan in jail fo this?

Anonymous said...

Nah. They'll just waterboard him.

historymike said...

Ummmmmm. no.

My ironic and sardonic tones did not tranlate well here, Anonymous. Pretend that I was writing as a doe-eyed Bush supporter and re-read the post.

Then write a two-page essay on irony as a homework assignment.

:-}

historymike said...

(laughing at Anonymous #2, who chimed in at the same time I did)

microdot said...

But it will be interesting to see if they try to swiftboat Mr. Bubble for his criticism of the fiscal insanity of the administration and this statement.

Togakure Ryu said...

The Iraq war had nothing to do about oil. It was about 3 things
(not necessarily in order):

1) To secure Israel's hegemony in the middle east. Educate yourself by reading "A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm". Written by zionists who also came up with the fake "yellow cake" and other evidence.

2) To feed our out of control military industrial complex (aka, "Why We Fight"). Haliburton, et al.

3) Because baby Bush wanted to "finish the job" daddy Bush didn't.

microdot said...

Mr. Ryu, I can completely agree with all of your three statements and then turn around and say, but it was mainly about the oil!
I think that in your focus on the details in your Zionist conspiracy mindset, you have lost the ability to see the entire picture.

mud_rake said...

I think that in your focus on the details in your Zionist conspiracy mindset, you have lost the ability to see the entire picture.

When my wife and I stood frozen-toed during the winter of 2002-2003 with our "NO WAR!" signs on the street corners of Toledo, others with us held up, "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" signs.

Now we understand the truth after hundreds of liters of blood have poured out upon the sands of Iraq.

Mad Jack said...

Holy hubris, HistoryMike! Do you think the President is sorry he lied to us?

-Sepp said...

What can they do to Alan Greenspan? Call him a liar? Greenspan has something Bush doesent have...CREDIBILITY.

Togakure Ryu said...

microdot, I said that the items were not necessarily in order. How exactly is that a "zionist conspiracy mindset"??

Robin said...

I don't think it was all about oil. I'm under the impression that Bush wanted to flex his muscle in the Mid-East. Picked Iraq. And miscalculated.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Umm, if it was really about the oil, where's the oil?

Barb said...

So Greenspan was in on the war decision? I don't think so. This is his speculation

BUT I think he's right --in that OIL IS LOGICALLY AND RIGHTLY A FACTOR! In addition to the concern about Sadam's declared enmity to the U.S., his seething interest in revenge for the Gulf War, his desire to control his neighbors and their oil fields --as he proved in going after Kuwait --in addition to his reluctance to allow free inspections of his war arsenal, giving rise to world opinion that he had WMD.

How do we defend ourselves and protect our economy in any war -- against terrorists, Osama, Sadam, China, No. Korea, Cuba, Iran -- if the middle east chokes off our oil??

The Constitution authorizes national defense as a proper function of federal gov't --keeping the oil accessible for defense is certainly part of that --since we can't drill in Alaska --since we haven't yet become independent of foreign oil.

Am I really WRONG in this view???
Show me where.

Mr. Schwartz said...

Boosh has too much of an ego to say

1) I was wrong
2) I'm sorry

Remember when Boosh said the oil was going to pay for the occupation of Iraq???

This whole Iraqi war was BS from the start but realistically, we just can't totally pull out now either. We are stuck there because of Boooooosh.

Mad Jack said...

Barb:

Are you a member in good standing of the Jehovah's Witnesses?

I'm curious because of your claims to Christianity coupled with the opinions you're spouting.