Sep 12, 2007

I'll Chose Luck Over Skill Any Day

Wednesdays are a difficult day for me, as I work in one capacity or another for about thirteen hours. As a result, I tend to be a bit scatter-brained on this day, and I make mistakes like leaving my headlights on for four hours.

Like tonight, when I walked to my car after teaching my Wednesday night class.

As soon as I spotted my car, which is a twelve-year-old Hyundai, I was sure that I was in trouble. The headlights have a shutoff feature for nincompoops like me, but I figured that four hours with the running lights just a-blazing away could not be good for the dusty five-year-old battery in this car.

Yet the car started without even a moment's hesitation.

Thus, the old adage of New York Yankees ace Lefty Gomez applies here: "I'd rather be lucky than good."


-Sepp said...

Don't try that with a Geo metro. 2 hours outside of International institute with the parking lights left on cost me 50 bucks for a jumpstart a few years back.

Hooda Thunkit said...

I guess that it was your lucky day after all.

But then we used to replace the battery on American branded cars at about 3 years; when I took my 5 year-old foreign branded (assembled here) car in for the usual change and asked them to change the battery too, I was told that I won't be needing a battery for another 2 to 3 years, perhaps longer.

Better batteries, superior charging regulation, or more efficient starters, you be the judge.

My wife's first battery made it 8 years.

Hooda Thunkit said...

the usual OIL change. . .