Oct 30, 2007

Odd Laptop Problem - Screen Filled with Vertical Lines

While working on a PowerPoint presentation for one of the classes I teach, the screen on my laptop suddenly filled with vertical gray and blue lines, as pictured in the accompanying photo. None of the CTRL-ALT-DEL functions would snap this laptop out of its electronic fit.

I will have to remove the battery to get the machine to restart, and I assume that my PowerPoint will be eaten by the gremlins that lurk in my laptop.

Anyone ever see a similar situation? Feel free to leave advice or tips in the comments section.


Chris said...

I don't think you want to hear my response but I think your video card is hosed. In a laptop this is bad because it is usually connected to the logic board and you know that that means a new logic board which means $$$. Try to hook it to an external monitor and see if you can get the video out, do the key combo for your computer to mirror the video out. Vertical lines are usually a symptom of a video card problem. Your data should be Ok on the hard drive. Maybe purchase one of those portable drive carriers and install it in there then you have a portable drive and you can get your data off. Let me know how it goes....chris myers

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Instead of removing your battery, try holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds. It's a lot easier, although I know it doesn't help your basic problem.

historymike said...

Thanks, Chris, for your insight and suggestions.

After the battery died and I restarted the laptop, it ran fine, but I am assuming that this is a problem that will get progressively worse.

historymike said...

Good suggestion, Screaming Nutcase. I will try that the next time my Compaq freezes up.