Oct 30, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: REBARBATIVE

Share
Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

rebarbative (ree-BAHR-bah-tiv) adj. irritating; repellent; forbidding; disagreeable to the senses.

Rebarbative comes to us from the French word rébarbatif ("grim" or "forbidding"), and its etymology can be traced further to the Latin barba ("beard"). I suppose that unshaven faces might be consided "prickly" or "repellent," though that does not stop me from growing the blasted facial appendages.

One might argue that I subconsciously grow facial hair as a deliberate attempt to repel unwanted conversation from passersby, but I prefer to think it is merely to accentuate the Chuck Norris that lurks within me.

2 comments:

microdot said...

oh, I thought the term had to do with the repetitious posts by someone who posts here occasionally.......
(just kidding miss b, happy halloween!)

The Screaming Nutcase said...

"There is no chin under Chuck Norris' Beard. There is only another fist."

Courtesy of Chuck Norris Facts.