Oct 14, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: WHIGMALEERIE

Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

whigmaleerie (wig-muh-LEE-ree) n. a whim, a moment of caprice, or a fanciful notion.

The word whigmaleerie began to appear in Scottish literature in the seventeenth century, though its etymological origins are unknown. The term is also used to describe knick-knacks, and has become the name of a drinking game.

The Scottish poet William Soutar composed a poem entitled "A Whigmaleerie." Here is the poem in its entirety:


There was an Auchtergaven mouse
(I canna mind his name)
Wha met in wi a hirplin louse
Sair trauchled for her hame.

"My friend I'm hippit; an nae doot
Yell heist me on my wey"
The mouse but squinted doon his snoot
And wi a breenge was by.

Or lang he to his ain door
Doun by a condie-hole;
And thocht as he was stappin owre
"Vermin are ill tae thole !"

1 comment:

Lisa Renee said...

Nice...I love that word!