Nov 4, 2007

Rapid Rhetoric: DÉMARCHE

Share
Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

démarche (day-MARSH) n. a move or maneuver in political or diplomatic affairs; a formal diplomatic representation of one government’s official position to the appropriate official in another government or international organization.

Not surprisingly, démarche comes to the English language via the French word démarcher, which means "to take steps." The U.S. State Department provides official procedures on the issuance of a démarche, should you ever find yourself in the position of needing to issue one.

Démarche is a word that I may have looked up a dozen times in the past, and for some reason the term fails to stick in my overloaded brain. Perhaps I could pen my own démarche in protest of the overuse of foreign terms of diplomacy.

No comments: