Dec 15, 2007

Blizzard of 2007 - Live Driveway Coverage

Share
(Toledo, OH) Northwest Ohio appears to be just south of the center of the major winter storm that will menace the Midwest and Northeast over the next two days. At present (8:16 pm Saturday) we have about one-half inch of accumulated snow.

I am choosing the appellation of "blizzard" to describe the winter storm, and my choice reflects a few factors: my work as a journalist (we like extremes in stories and headlines) and the fact that the gale force winds that will be accompanying the storm tomorrow are expected to create blizzard-like conditions.

By midnight we should approach two inches of the white stuff, and total accumulation for the storm will be between 6 and 12 inches in my area. Good thing I don't own any silver cufflinks, as my lot in life over the next 24 hours will be one of hearty shoveling.

At any rate, I'll be updating with weather pictures and amateur meteorological observations until the storm passes, or until I get bored with the idea.

Update #1, 10:26 pm:
We have about an inch of snow at the moment in West Toledo, and the intensity of the storm started to increase about 45 minutes ago. It looks like we are well on our way to the two or more inches predicted by midnight tonight.

The snow has also started to accumulate on the main thoroughfates, in spite of efforts by city crews to lay down a preemptive strike in the form of pre-storm salt. The current temperature according to the digital thermometer on my front porch is 30.0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Left: Radar image of the winter storm courtesy of Intellicast.com; click to enlarge

From the radar image, it appears that the heaviest snow will start in about two to three hours. There are sections of Indiana that are currently reporting snowfall amounts in excess of two inches per hour. The current temperature according to the digital thermometer on my front porch is 29.3 degrees Fahrenheit.

Time to make a first pass with the snow shovel...

Update #2, 8:03 am Sunday:

I woke to the sound of my neighbor's snowblower this morning, and it is evident that the worst of the storm skirted just north of the Toledo area. It appears that points north of Monroe, MI will be receiving the snowfall in amounts closer to a foot.

The temperature is currently 27.5 degrees Fahrenheit, and the wind has yet to pick up, with the occasional gusts only reaching about 10 mph so far.

It looks like we have received about 3.25 inches of snow at the moment, though the snow will continue to accumulate until 6:00 pm, according to the latest projections.

My efforts to shovel the snow last night are difficult to discern, but I know that my back will appreciate the lighter loads this morning.

Update: 12:12 pm, Sunday:

We have accumulated over six inches of snow in my neighborhood, and the winds are beginning to pick up in Northwest Ohio. I have felt a few gusts in the last hour that seemed to be in excess of 25 mph, and snow is beginning to drift.

The current rate of precipitation is a little more than a half-inch per hour, and the current temperature according to the digital thermometer on my front porch is 28.3 degrees Fahrenheit.

I also had to shovel a path and "elimination zone" for my dogs, who exhibited a reluctance to venture outdoors. I wish my young adult children would take a cue from the canine members of the household, as they keep testing Fortuna by making "important" trips with their cars into this nasty weather.

Update: 5:22 pm, Sunday:

Total accumulation in my yard was about 8 inches of snow, and the current temperature is down to 27.2 degrees Fahrenheit. The winds are quite strong, though the predictions of gale-force winds were overblown.

Heh.

We did get quite a few strong gusts, though, and I watched as some decent-sized drifts grew in my yard.

2 comments:

Mad Jack said...

I talked to Main Lady on the phone and she told me Sylvania already had an inch or more. I'm hoping against the promised 12 inches.

Mad City has over an inch on the ground and will probably get another 2 or 3 before morning. The main streets are lousy, and the side streets are worse. I actually spun out while going to the movies this afternoon, which is not like me at all. I ended up sideways on the street, was able to right myself with a minimum of hassle and go along my way. No damage, no injuries, no tickets. The whole thing was my fault. I wasn't paying attention to my speed and the surface of the street, went into a corner too fast, gunned it and didn't correct for the tail whip. Drat! I haven't done anything like that in thirty years.

microdot said...

Damn, I haven't seen a good blizzard for years!...and I'm not nostalgic!

It's cold here, we are having a cold wave and the French are announcing wind chills for the first time on the weather forecasts.

We are lucky, here if we see an inch a year...then it melts with in hours.
Rain, fog and more fog and freezing fog, that's the winter weather here.

I was in NYC at the Museum of Modern Art a few weeks ago and I saw the Marcel Duchamp ready made from 1914, a snow shovel hanging from the ceiling with the title...
In Advance Of A Broken Arm