Jan 5, 2008

Quirky Websites: How Many of Me?

Share
The Quirky Website of the Week is a regular feature on this site. Feel free to recommend other quirky websites in the Comments section.

I have a fairly common family name, and my first name (Michael) has been one of the most popular male first names for several decades running. In fact, there are approximately 4,010,283 people in the U.S. with the first name Michael and some 312,805 people in the U.S. with the last name Brooks.

There are approximately 4,131 Americans named Michael Brooks.

I know this from visiting the website called HowManyofMe.com. Billing its algorithm as "more accurate than a Magic 8-ball" while being "less accurate than distributing and collecting 300 million surveys," the site uses Census data to give you an idea of the popularity of your name. Worth a quick visit on an afternoon when you are bored and surfing the Net.

4 comments:

microdot said...

and there are only 76 of me.

Did you know that when you look your name up on google, you have will have found your googleganger? I didn't know that either, but I learned that on BBC World Radio last night about the new words of 2007..
Unfortunately, the most popular term that has crept into common usage was the word, subprime.

mud_rake said...

Just one of me. How unique.

The Screaming Nutcase said...

The database claims there is no one in the US with my name! :)

Robin said...

The data base also told me that there is no one in the US with my name.