Jan 14, 2008

To the Jackass Who Ran Over My Daughter

Share
My heart dropped when I answered the phone and my 19-year-old daughter was crying.

"What the hell is wrong with people and I was just walking in the parking lot to my car and some a**hole ran me over and he said 'Are you all right?' and I said 'WTF!!!' and I can't believe this and my hand and leg are scraped up..."

Mr. Sensitive drove off before my daughter could get his license plate number, which means this crappy driver gets away with a Mulligan. Today.

Dear Jackass: You are lucky for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that no one was nearby to witness the incident. You likely avoided any insurance mess and an expensive ticket for careless driving.

But most of all? You avoided having to deal with me. When it comes to my children, I am something like a maniacal, rabid grizzly bear, and my desire to protect my kids from idiots like you is quite strong. Be thankful that I was not there to swing the mighty Louisville Slugger of Justice on your bumper or skull.

My only consolation at the moment is the fact that karma can be one nasty, unforgiving vixen, and I am confident that your reckless driving and your cowardly flight from an accident scene - with an injured young woman lying on the wet pavement - will eventually bite you on the arse. Hard.

In the meantime, may a thousand ticks with communicable diseases attach themselves to your groin, punk.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not angry are you, Mike?

Sergej said...

I suffer the same "grizzly sindrome" about relatives and friends and I can understand your hot-blooded feelings.
Hoping the best for your daughter. And hoping the jackass loose every one of his teeth except one. To have teethache. (italian curse)

Roo said...

Wow, Mike! That's a bunch of crap! I'm SO glad your daughter is OK (essentially) and that she shares her dad's ornery streak!

Sure wish that fool would take responsibility for his actions. But we know that won't happen - especially since he drove away and left her laying there.

Makes ya want to just stomp a mud hole in his .....

microdot said...

again, more info than you want, but in 1996, I was biking to my job on w.17th Street in NYC and as I turned a corner, a car pulled out in front of me and the next thing I knew, I was flying over the hood and performing one of my patented shoulder landings on the asphalt in fron to the car.
As I slowly drifted back into reality, I saw that there was crowd of people standing arouund and a very obnoxious woman screaming in my face. "How dare I ram into her car?" she was incredibly aggressive! I was suddenly full of adrenaline and began to order the people in the street around and I had someone on the phone to the police in moments.
The very aggressive woman began to change her tone and tell me about her insurance payments....her daughter, who was in the car began to tell her to shut up!
I was lucky, I wasn't hurt too bad, the first aid was administered in an EMS vehicle and I only missed 2 days of work..
But if it wasn't for the fact that I had witnesses, Madame Bigmouth from New Jersey would have gotten away and left me in the street!
Sometimes you wonder if the Insurance system in America doesn't somehow encourage this kind of irresponsible behaviour.

historymike said...

Thanks to all who weighed in. My daughter is OK, just scraped up and achy.

Now, if I can let go of my anger...

MP said...

Drugs? Extreme indifference to human life?

I don't know. Either way, I see people who would run my wife and I down in a second...in our own apartment's parking lot.

There is something fundamentally wrong with people from Chicagoland. I mean it. There's some sort of screw loose in each of their heads. They sometimes look and act like they want to kill you with their cars and wouldn't give a second thought to it.

I face this prospect every day and it ages me a little any time that I think about it. I'm moving out soon. I can't wait. I hope I survive.

But, true to the lawyer in me, if, God forbid, I don't, please...

...someone sue.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your daughter is going to be okay.

What parking lot was she in - could there be video of the incident? This guy needs to be held responsible for his actions.

Robin said...

Glad to hear that your daughter wasn't hurt too badly. Does she have a description of the car and/or the driver?

mud_rake said...

That your daughter is safe is the most important thing to be thankful for. The jackass will suffer the consequences at some later date.

You are a good father, Mike, and your daughter surely knows that even more tonight.

historymike said...

Anonymous:

It was in the West lot, by the West parking garage. I have a make/model/driver description that will make ID fairly easy, but I hesitate to make it public in the million-to-one case someone jumps to the wrong conclusion.

historymike said...

Thanks, Robin and Muck Rake.