Mar 12, 2008

A Brief Note to Readers

Share
I am currently in the middle of the grueling rite of academic passage known as comprehensive doctoral exams, which are a series of eight-hour days in which you answer essay questions foisted upon you by professors. You do not know the questions in advance, and the goal is to write like a madman, fully answering the proffered queries and generating 25-40 pages worth of essays from the top of your head. This is one of those significant milestones where PhD students either get a pat on the head or a kicked-out-of-the-program note, so I have been studying like there has been a twitchy-fingered, gun-wielding psychopath right behind me.

As a result, I have been bogged down with testing and last-minute fact-cramming, and have not been able to update the site, answer non-emergency emails, or comment on recent posts. I hope to be through running this acdemic gauntlet on Friday, provided I satisfactorily demonstrate a knowledge level sufficient to be certified to move on as a doctoral candidate. Luckily, the department allows graduate students to bring along their iPods to break the monotony of sitting in a chair and staring at a montor for eight hours.

If not, there is always the position manning the grill and the deep-fryer at the local late-night diner. I am hell on kicking out fried chicken and deep-fried mozzerella sticks, while simultaneously watching a dozen burgers and some sirloins.

:-}

12 comments:

The Screaming Nutcase said...

Best of luck!

mud_rake said...

You are still up top of my 'favorites' list and you will stay there. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Mikey!!!

Carol said...

You can do it Mike! Best of luck! Get it behind you and I'll buy the coffee - at the Java Mill of course!

Mad Jack said...

I'm the one right behind you Mike. Me 'an Betsy ::snick::

Hooda Thunkit said...

And here I thought you were merely goofing off... :-)

Han in there and good luck!

Sergej said...

As we say in Italy: In bocca al lupo!

Anonymous said...

From Engineer of Knowledge

Hello History Mike,
At 55 years old, I too still find courses to take at the University of Maryland and I had my mid-term last night. Of course it paled in comparison to your task ahead but I am wishing you the best.

I will be looking forward to your return because I really enjoy the intellectually stimulating postings on your site.

Tim Higgins said...

Michael,

There is little doubt that you will fare well in this endeavour. Please let the rest of us know when you lose interest in the diner position. This is Toledo after all, and a good job is hard to come by.

microdot said...

Monsieur Mike, Bon Chance et Bon Courage!

Comme on dit dans le show-business, casser une jambe!

ev said...

It is so hard to explain what comps mean to those not in academia. I used to try to explain to the outsiders how comps was really more important than your dissertation defense. What a grueling experience. I shudder to think back on those days.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Rooting for you from my end of cyberspace.