May 6, 2008

Return of the Crabapple Blossoms

Among the annual color extravaganzas I await each year is the blossoming of my crabapple tree, which sits in the backyard outside the window of my office. For several days the air near this tree is filled with a cheerful aroma.

I noticed that the flowers bloomed about four days later than they did last year, and I wonder what signals the tree recognizes before shifting into "spring" mode. This winter was warmer than past winters, though the snowfall was heavier, and we had some late March snow that might have interfered with the biological processes through which seasonal expression occurs among crabapple trees.

Or maybe the tree flowers when it damned well feels like it.

1 comment:

Jake said...

Probably the latter. :)

Also, I wanted to give props on listening to Meddle, which is probably my favorite Pink Floyd record. Once I synced Echoes with the last scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey...WOW. I'll tell you what, I felt like I was born again.