Jul 4, 2008

Icelandic Poppy at Sunset

Share
I purchased some Icelandic poppies for my yard this year, not really knowing much about these flowers beyond the fact that they are perennials and that I enjoy other varieties of poppies. Known to scientists as Papaver nudicaule, these plants produce delicate, papery blossoms that are rather short-lived.

I am more puzzled than disappointed with the relatively meager number of blossoms that appeared. I certainly need to experiment with environmental conditions, and perhaps successive years may prove more bountiful than my results this summer.

Or maybe this ephemeral nature is just how poppies are: here one day, gone the next, just a short punctuation mark of color before the petals drift to the ground.

2 comments:

microdot said...

I have never had luck with poppies.
I've planted some himalayan beauties which came up. flowered once and then disappeared into the biomass of my garden.
Then there are the little red wild poppies that will run amok and cover a field like a red flag...
They are all over my propertie...
very dramatic and epheremal...the flowers last for a day, but there will be more tomorrow.

microdot said...

One more thing...
I posted a short video panorama of the area I live in on thebrainpolice.
It's kind of neat because it gives a good idea of the space......
The post is called Je Suis La