Jul 19, 2008

A Weird Burglary Story

Share
My wife works a part-time job one day a week as part of a group of caregivers for an elderly woman who lives on a quiet cul-de-sac in the relatively low-crime city of Sylvania, OH. She worked overnight last evening, parking one of our rusty-but-trusty clunkers in the driveway of the house.

As there was nothing of value in the vehicle - and due to a door lock that sometimes sticks - my wife left the car unlocked. When she opened the car in the morning, she noticed that someone had been rifling through the glovebox in search of valuables.

The thief did steal one of those cassette converters that allows you to plug in another device, like a CD player or an iPod, so I guess we were out about $10 from the crime. This is nothing to even waste time filling out a police report, of course, but I was puzzled by another find: the crook put out a cigarette in the ash tray.

What kind of goofball sits in the cars of other people, looking for merchandise to steal, and takes the time to have a cigarette? My understanding is such thieves are typically of the get-in-get-out variety, smashing windows and grabbing anything they can steal, while splitting before anyone notices them.

This weirdo casually puffed a smoke and neatly crushed the butt in the ashtray. I imagined that the idiot probably thought he was beyond the attention with his "hey, just smoking a cigarette here" ploy, but it is kind of bizarre to think of a complete stranger sitting in your car like he owned it.

I think I want to take this old clunker to the car wash now. I don't know about the car, but I feel kind of dirty at the moment and in need of a good scrubbing, though I'm not really thinking about moving services.

5 comments:

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

"I think I want to take this old clunker to the car wash now. I don't know about the car, but I feel kind of dirty at the moment and in need of a good scrubbing."

That kind of reaction is typical; like washing (or showering) away a very personal violation.

Consider that the "perp" also left behind some very valuable DNA in that cigarette butt, should this have been a more serious crime here.

Probably won't be that long before this witless thug does just that and puts himself away (possibly for life) through his own doing stupid actions.

Mad Jack said...

What kind of goofball sits in the cars of other people, looking for merchandise to steal, and takes the time to have a cigarette?

The kind that isn't there to steal anything. He/she was waiting for someone and was confident enough to have a smoke while he waited.

dr-exmedic said...

I always read about house burglars who drink the beer while they're there. Part of it seems like a power thing, really rubbing it in that they were there.

mud_rake said...

Perhaps the car brought back memories of his childhood when his grandfather drove one exaclly like it.

Robin said...

There was a time when my parents would park their unlocked car on the street, in front of their house. A few weekends in a row, they would find beer cans in the car. Apparently, kids/teenagers must have ducked in their car to drink and to get out of the cold (this was in the winter). Not sure if anything was ever taken. My parents usually don't store anything in their car.

Anyway... my guess is that the person who was in your wife's car must have just been bored and was just seeing what car he/she could get into and then went through the glove compartment out of curiosity while having a smoke.