Aug 2, 2008

Barcelona Supermodel

(Barcelona) While visiting Park Güell, the garden complex in Barcelona designed by the renowned Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí, I was surprised to see a fashion shoot, complete with stunning model. I have never seen a supermodel up close, which no doubt comes as a shock to readers of this blog.


I do not know the name of the pretty young woman, as I am not much of a connoisseur of matters related to fashion, and truth be told - I find the world of high fashion to be vapid and exploitative. Yet I found myself watching with more than a little curiosity the activity of the dozen people working to create unreality for some magazine advertisement or billboard.

Feel free to identify, if you can, the subject of this fashion moment, unless you would instead prefer to surf for electronic deals.

1 comment:

microdot said...

Well, the fashion world is exploitative and all of the above, but it sells dreams and fantasy to a world in need of these things. I worked peripherally in the business creating fantasies and my wife worked for the best perfume bottle designer in the world in the 80's and 90's. There was so much of that world we couldn't stand, but great art and design cannot be denied.

I am so envious of your visit to the location where the shoot was.
I have loved Gaudi's work since I was a teen. The buildings and the interiors he designed are timeless marvels that seem to have no refernece point...except a vague departure from Art Nouveau directly into surrealist fantasy.

I heard it is nearly impossible to get into the tours of Sagrada Familia...that's why I want to go to Barcelona in the winter.

The music of Manu Chao!

When the dust settles from your trip, you should get ahold of a copy of a film called L'auberge Espagnol.
A very charming little film by an American film maker about a group of International students attending school in Bacelona and living together in an apartment.
It was released in French, Spanish and English versions. Audrey Tatou was a supporting actress in the film.