Aug 8, 2008

Castelo de São Jorge

Share
(Lisboa, Portugal) I spent a few hours wandering around the Castle of São Jorge today. This was my first experience spending any significant amount of time in a medieval castle, and I walked away impressed with the architectural finesse associated with building such a massive fortification.

The castle walls and towers you see in the picture rise over 30 feet in the air, and I was hard pressed to imagine exactly how an attacker might scale these barriers.

The fortress also served as the royal palace of Portuguese monarchs, at least until Manuel I built the new palace by the Tagus River, Ribeira Palace. The facility later served as a barracks and as a prison, though it fell into disrepair after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.

1 comment:

aGinger said...

yapp, I'm writing a post about Castelo de Sao Jorge :) That's a great monument of Lisbon!