Aug 25, 2008

Quirky Website - Virtual I-Ching

The Quirky Website of the Week is a semi-regular feature on this site. Feel free to recommend other quirky websites in the Comments section.

Sure, it's about as reliable as a roll of the dice, but the Virtual I-Ching website gives you another option in both time-killing and electronic prognostication. This certainly beats surfing the net for the best deals on bar sinks, doesn't it?

The I-Ching, or “Book of Changes,” is a collection of ancient Chinese texts that use a symbol system to predict the future, or, as I-Ching aficionados describe it, "identifying order in chance events." The Virtual I-Ching told me that impoverishment is in my future:
The Mountain absorbs the water of the Lake that is at its feet. The force of the Mountain can be turned into anger; the joy of the Lake can become passion. Control anger and passion by laying down a limit, and you will strengthen your mind. Benefits and losses are neither good nor bad in themselves. What enriches on the one hand impoverishes on the other hand. Do not be ashamed of your poverty and do not be bitter.
Not a bad call, given the state of the U.S. economy. The online oracle also gave me this piece of advice:
If you lose your self-respect when serving your superiors, you will become weaker and nothing good will come out of it. You must persevere in the same direction and not embark on new plans.
This one actually fit a situation in which I was involved today; I'm not ready to declare myself a devotee of divination, but it was interesting reading nonetheless.

No comments: