Nov 28, 2008

On Thanksgiving Leftovers and Leftover Thanks

Share
The refrigerator full of turkey, stuffing, au gratin potatoes, and other holiday leftovers testify to the gap between our estimation of the appetites of our Thanksgiving guests and the actual food consumed yesterday. Of course, it is better to over-prepare than to run short of food on an annual feast such as Thanksgiving Day.

Some folks believe that the leftovers taste even better than the original meal, and there is much to be said for a full plate of reheated holiday food. My wife can cook with the best, and I heartily enjoyed a sequel to the previous day's meal.

And as I digest my second round of traditional fare, I pause to consider just how privileged I am, as there are billions of people for whom such my meal of leftovers must seem an impossible dream. I live in a land relatively free from violent conflict, a nation in which terror attacks are as rare as a blizzard in the Sahara, unlike folks in places like Mumbai or Baghdad.

I live at a time when I can still express my thoughts without fear of government reprisal, and I have access to a media outlet in the form of this blog that gives me a platform to reach a global audience. Moreover, I live relatively debt-free in my own home at a time when the global economy totters on the verge of collapse, and we should be able to survive even the worst financial calamity. Though my wife and I are far from wealthy, we live nonetheless better than 90 to 95 percent of the other human beings on the planet.

So, despite any lesser sources of irritation or frustration, my life is indeed blessed, and I offer humble thanks to God for my relative affluence.

2 comments:

microdot said...

okay, I confess, I do miss left over turkey sandwiches on white bread with mayonaise...okay, I said it.
I feel better now.

Anonymous said...

Warm and fuzzy...in the bossom of the Middle American, middle-class family, stuffed with turkey, good cheer, faux sympathy for those less blessed. Did you ever think of sharing your bourgeois feast with any of Toledo's poor or homeless? Perhaps, you and some of your children could help serve in one of the facility's feeding the hungry or even help in the animal shelter to give those folks a hand on a day when everyone else is at leisure. Your God would appreciate your thanks more if you did something to warrant your obvious blessings.