Dec 31, 2008

A Waxing Crescent Moon and a New Year

I stared up this evening at the slivered moon, which is in its waxing crescent phase, and for a moment I put aside the various resentments that plagued me today. Domestic noise as produced by my progeny drove me outside for a few moments of quiet, but my detour took an unexpected, almost spiritual, turn.

I listened to the low whine of some passing emergency sirens, and I paused to give thanks that my family members are healthy. The distant sound of a jet reminded me that I had the opportunity to travel to Europe this summer, and also that my immediate family is within a short drive.

The cold and crisp winter wind acted to jar me into the realization that I have a warm house with paid-in-full utility bills. Motorists driving past my house on their way home from work reminded me that - unlike many people these days - I have as much work as I can possibly handle, and that my wife and I have achieved a higher level of financial security than at any point in our 22 years of marriage.

Thus, while I went outside to cool off after my bickering children interfered with my dissertation-writing, I came back inside with the awareness that I really have no room to complain, at least for now.

So I bid everyone who reads this a Happy New Year, and I hope that you are able to enjoy a few moments of peace and happiness this evening as we welcome in the year of 2009.

1 comment:

microdot said...

Bonne Annee, Mike.
My wish is that we all are able to get what we really need, and learn to tell the difference between that and what we merely want.