Jan 7, 2009

Crikey's Original Australian Pies

Share
I have been flu-ridden the last few days, and concurrent with my illness has been a craving for a good old-fashioned pasty. This is a dish of Cornish origin, and which spread into American mining areas like Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the nineteenth century. The pasty is sort of like stew in a pie crust, not dissimilar to pot pies, but more in the shape of a calzone.

My efforts to find a local purveyor of Yooper pasties led me to try out Crikey's Original Australian Pies, which coincidentally are produced here in Toledo. While not a match for the pasty, Crikey's makes an excellent pie with a flaky crust and delicious fillings.

Crikey's Pies retail for $3.99 here in Toledo at the local Kroger, and since they are quite a bit larger than a frozen pot pie, they are worth the price. Now, if I can only find a true-blue pasty, especially without winding up with a case of plantar fasciitis from pounding the proverbial pavement.

5 comments:

microdot said...

I cannot believe I have heard another person voice a craving for a Pastie!
I spent a lot of time in the YooPee when I lived in the midwest and I ate a lot of Pasties....
You can't get them here....

Anonymous said...

Monsieur Microdot,

You can of course get a pastie...next time you are in Paris, try La Bourse ou La Vie on the Rue des Panoyaux. Their pasties are as delectable as the Cornish version. There is another place in the Pigalle along the Bd. de Rouchechouart that is not as good, but far better than the UP offerings that I have ingested.

microdot said...

Maybe I should open up a Pasty Barn next to the Blini Hut in Objat...
I'm a long way from Paris!

Micah said...

http://www.lawryspasties.com/store/pasties.php

Fedex overnight! We had pasties from their store when we were up there a couple of years ago.

Micah said...

So not really cost effective. I tried to order some just now, and shipping was ridiculous.

I'll have to look for Crikey's!