Jan 27, 2009

Ervin Anthony Lupoe: Employment Despair Leads to Murder-Suicide

Share
Image of the Lupoe home courtesy of AP

A California man apparently upset over difficulties at his employer fatally shot his wife, his five children, and then himself at their Wilmington home today. CNN reported that a suicide letter found at the scene was signed by a man named Ervin Anthony Lupoe.

A revolver was found next to the dead man, and police said he was found in a second-story bedroom with his three daughters, 5-year-old twin girls and an 8-year-old girl. The two boys - 2-year old twins - were found with their mother in a different bedroom.

Lupoe wrote that he and his wife - who worked with him at - filed work grievances, but that their situation remained unchanged. Two days later the husband and wife were fired, according to local television station KABC.

"They did nothing to the manager who started such and did not attempt to assist us in the matter, knowing we have no job and five children under 8 years old with no place to go. So here we are," Lupoe wrote.

At the bottom of his note, Lupoe added: "Oh lord, my God, is there no hope for a widow's son?"

Picture of Lupoe family from their Facebook page

Wilmington is a middle class neighborhood in Los Angeles that is located north of Long Beach and the region's major port facilities. While the area is heavily industrial, the Lupoes lived in a fairly affluent subdivision. In the recent housing implosion, though, property values have fallen by approximately one-third, and houses that once sold for a half-million dollars now fetch something in the neighborhood of $300K. I am still digging into the Los Angeles County Assessor website for Ervin A. Lupoe, but as yet I have no specific home information.

I know all too well the struggles associated with financial insecurity and employment problems, but I simply cannot comprehend how someone could kill their spouse and children. I pray that my life circumstances and mental health never deteriorate to the point where mass killing would seem like anything but unspeakable horror.

What a shocking crime: I am at a loss for words to describe the sickening feeling in my stomach as I follow this horror.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALL THOSE BABIES!! NO JO LOSS CAN JUSTIFY KILLING INNOCENTS!! MAY ERVIN A. LAPOE BURN IN HELL!!!

Anonymous said...

It's "Ervin A. Lupoe" not "Ervin A. Lapoe."

historymike said...

Thanks, Anonymous. Already updated.

Anonymous said...

lupoe was my cousin and he was a good man, this is another lgacy of the bush years, very very sad.

Anonymous said...

My family in Socal live right near there..wow.

Dave

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with the Bush years... my God...

Dave

historymike said...

AGreed, Dave: blaming this on the "Bush years" is a helluva stretch. Some folks blame Bush for just about everything, and I am unaware of anything political about Lupoe's actions.

He got fired, went nuts, and killed his family in a state of deranged thinking, from what I gather.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Mike:

Friends of the Lupoes have asked me to read your posting. I worked with both Mr. and Mrs Lupoe and can tell you that they were very nice folks, although I did not know them well. (I did meet their elder daughter on one occasion and she was a very sweet child.) Thank you for caring and your kind comments.

I can tell you that the reason the Lupoes were fired had to do with the forging of a supervisor's signature, although I am not sure if there additional problems at work that I was unaware of. By the way, I never heard Mr. Lupoe speak of a cousin or any relative with which the family was close.

With a heavy heart,
Mary B.




Mary B.

Anonymous said...

May they rest in peace. There could have been other options but I am no one to judge.

Anonymous said...

would you kill your famliy or let them suffer .?
with no money coming in what so ever ii understand where he was coming from...but that doesnt make it right. ii hope he rest in peace..his whole family

Anonymous said...

It's Ervin "Antonio" Lupoe. Not Anthony.

Y.M. Lupoe

Anonymous said...

Just a correction, it's Ervin "Antonio" Lupoe. Not Anthony.

Y.M.Lupoe