Jan 29, 2009

On Problem Headlights and Dielectric Grease

Share
My 1995 Hyundai developed an annoying flickering headlight problem recently, where the slightest bump would cause the lamp to shut off. I tried reinstalling it and repositioning it, but the problem did not correct itself.

I further read up on the phenomenon, and a few websites suggested coating the contacts and rubber seals with dielectric grease. This is a non-conductive lubricant that helps seal out water and ensures a better connection by creating a tighter connection.

Anyways, after slathering an abundant amount of dielectric grease on the seals, boot, and points of contact, the pesky headlight began to cooperate. On a 10-mile drive in the dark tonight, I generated nary a flicker, and the lamp stayed lit the entire trip.

Thus, I heartily endorse dielectric grease in the installation and replacement of automobile headlamps. Now, if I could just find a similarly inexpensive solution to a leaky house roof.

No comments: