Jan 18, 2009

Rapid Rhetoric: NAVARIN

Share
Raphael's depiction of Plato defining the difference between true and false rhetoric This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

navarin (NAH-vah-rihn) n. a hot stew or ragoût, typically containing mutton and root vegetables such as onions and turnips.

The word navarin is of French origin, and the word likely has origins in the French word navet, which means "turnip." Another theory connects this lamb dish with the 1827 Battle of Navarino in the Ionian Sea, in which an Ottoman and Egyptian armada was crushed by a British, Russian, and French force.

A number of experts in French cuisine insist that a quality navarin is not a stew. I liked the explanation from the Everything French Gardening website:

A navarin is the ultimate spring-time delicacy and celebration of the garden. It is decidedly not a stew, but a nuanced medley of everything that is best of the season cooked to perfection: lamb and the first tiny vegetables from the garden.

5 comments:

Qaro said...

It's funny, I just searched for and found a blog called "Toledo Restaurant Reviews" because I'm looking for a nice place for my anniversary next month. But it's defunct. Then I saw it was by historymike. That's so funny! I've visited your blog before, it's good!

Anyway, here's a link for you: http://www.flickr.com/photos/prawnwarp/497359753/

microdot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
microdot said...

J'ai un bon recette d'un navarin, mais
c'est vrai, il faut faire un navarin en printemps..

historymike said...

Je voudrais essayer un navarin d'printemps aux oignons frais.

historymike said...

Qaro:

Yes, I've been slacking on that site. What is interesting is that it gets about a thousand visitors a week, even though it hasn't been updated in about a year. Strange...

I liked the link!