Jan 30, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII Prediction Post

Share
In keeping with my blog tradition, I am now placing on my prognostication hat and doing my best to predict the outcome of Super Bowl XLIII. Despite the propensity I have for underdogs - and the magical narrative of Kurt Warner returning from oblivion to once again lead a Super Bowl team - I think that the stifling defense of the Pittsburgh Steelers will prove to be the difference-maker in their championship game with the Arizona Cardinals.

Now, lest any blog-surfing newcomers jump to conclusions, I have no horse in this race. I am a long-suffering Lions fan who simply hopes for a quality football game on Sunday.

I see Warner tossing three scores (only one to WR Larry Fitgerald), but the Steelers will snag two passes for interceptions. Troy Polamalu will pick off one pass, break up two more throws, record six tackles, scoop up a fumble, post a late-game sack, and will find a way to get in on another half-dozen important defensive plays. Polamalu will also become that rarest of beasts: a Super Bowl MVP who plays a defensive position.

The defense of the Cardinals - whose playoff surge owes much to a newly found ability to stop the run - will suddenly return to Earth, and the ground game of the Steelers will be good for 140 yards and two scores. Pittsburgh Qb Ben Roethlisberger will not have an MVP-caliber game, but he will be more than adequate in tossing a TD and 250 passing yards.

Final Score: Pittsburgh Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 21.

As usual, feel free to leave any comments, predictions, or reasons why any of the above thoughts are the obvious work of a drooling, feeble-minded imbecile. I have a thick skin.

5 comments:

historymike said...

Interestingly, 6 of 10 Sports Illustrated writers pick the Cardinals over the Steelers in the linked summary, despite a betting line currently about one touchdown in favor of the Steelers.

Anonymous said...

Steelers 38, Cardinals 31 in a shootout.

mberenis said...

Cool blog, I'm excited to see the game. Check out my blogs for cheap super bowl tickets and discount NFL merchandise.
|
|
|
|
V
*************************
-->CHEAP Super Bowl TICKETS<--
----DISCOUNT NFL Merchandise----
*************************

Middle Aged Woman said...

I'd take the Cardinals and the points.

historymike said...

Gloat time - I was off by the two-point safety. Too bad I didn't place a bet. Great game, anyways.