Apr 7, 2009

On the Restorative Properties of Ramen Noodles

Share
I came across a vile microbe sometime Saturday that proceeded to make quick work of my gastrointestinal system, and I spent most of the past two days bed-ridden, delusional, and dehydrated due to the multiple orifices that served as exit points for my body's diminishing electrolytes. It was only yesterday that I attempted to consume anything other than clear liquids, and the first food I held down was a package of Ramen noodles.

My sodium levels became quite low in the process of sending gallons of liquid flying hither and yon for 24 hours, and the annoying cramps in my legs and arches confirmed this electrolyte problem. Yet within an hour of quaffing Ramen noodles, the cramping ceased. In addition, I noticed a clarity of thought that had not been around for 36 hours, and - though still weak - I now had enough energy to take a shower and read a book, while keeping my eyes peeled on an online auction for a heart pendant necklace.

So, while I am not ready to pronounce Ramen noodles as a cure-all, you could do worse as a source of simple food in a period of illness recovery.

3 comments:

Mad Jack said...

I spent most of the past two days bed-ridden, delusional

So does this mean you're not taking the Irish Wolfhound over Easter? You said he'd be no problem...

microdot said...

Man, you've had a tough couple of days...
Ramen Noodles are like good old fashioned chicken soup...
The wisdom of all cultures.

historymike said...

One thing is for sure - there's nothing like 4-5 days of heaving and diving to the bathroom to trim the waistline. I must have dropped 7 pounds since Sunday, and this is the first time I have been under 230 since September or so.