May 31, 2009

Outsmarting a Dog Who Tips Over the Trash Can

One of the dogs we are fostering likes to nose around through the trash can, and yesterday the smell of a sardine can lid caused him to redouble his efforts to tip over the trash can. Unfortunately for the curious pooch, I developed what I believe to be a fool-proof method of outwitting the canines in my home.

I placed a chunk of cinder block in the bottom of our kitchen trash can, and so far the dog has been stymied in his attempts. He used to jump on the side of the can and knock it over, but he now can only push the can a bit, given the eight-pound weight at the bottom. So long as he does not push the can across the house to a stairwell, the problem should be solved.

Of course, since I am 45 - and I have nearly four decades as a dog owner under my belt - I should hardly crow about my achievement. This is a long time to develop such a solution to a fairly simple problem, and if I were employed as an engineer on designing a new method of dog-proofing the trash can, my employer would have long ago relegated me to janitorial or filing duties.


Hooda Thunkit (a.k.a. Dave Zawodny) said...


"Of course, since I am 45...Well, from a dog's point of view, you're only a little over 6 years old, a young pup ;-)

Madrigal Maniac said...

"I should hardly crow about my achievement."

Come on! I'll bet you are still beaming.

Mad Jack said...

I developed what I believe to be a fool-proof methodThe question is, is it a dog proof method? My own dog would be overjoyed to push the can down the stairs. Not only do you get a nice racket and a lot of activity, but the contents are all spread out for you - entertainment, convenience and a tasty snack! What more could a dog want from a garbage can?

ltlop said...

what i've always done to keep fido out of the doggie buffet is to occasionally sprinkle some cayenne pepper on the top of the garbage and that usually does the trick after a couple times of a snootful of the stuff.

schambers said...

Ooooo! I'm going to try that.