May 26, 2009

Zombie Chicken and Kreativ Blogger Awards

Admittedly these two awards might be considered the blogging equivalent of chain letters, but far be it from me to incur negative virtual karma. My friend Jim Styro of Speaking in CAPS nominated me for both awards with the provision that I pass along the nominations to other bloggers.

Zombie Chicken

The blogger upon whom this award is bestowed believes in the "Tao of the zombie chicken - excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse." Such bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would "brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words." As recipients of this world-renowned award, bloggers now have the task of passing it on to at least five other worthy bloggers. An added disclaimer: "do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all."

Kreativ Blogger

The rules for this award are quite simple: list 7 things you love (or six things that make you happy, or pick your own set of rules...) and then pass the award along to seven friends whose blogs you love.

First, the things I love. I limited these to secular concerns so that I would not have to put the obligatory "God" first like a TD-notching, camera-aware, finger-to-the-heavens wide receiver. No disrespect intended to God, but I think the purpose of such lists is to provide previously unknown information to blog readers.

1. Spending time with my wife. No matter how crappy of a day I might have had, my wife can almost always cheer me up. On the rare occasions when even her contagious optimism cannot crack the solid walls of self-pity or resentment I erect, she is also able to point out the utter futility of staying angry.

2. Playing with my dogs. OK, this is no surprise to anyone who visits this blog on a semi-regular basis, but my dogs are also able to lift my spirits with their canine empathy.

3. Walking in the woods. Being alone in the woods (preferably with a camera) is an exercise in catharsis for me. I am able to let go of most worldly concerns, turn off my blasted cell phone, and regain my perspective. Also, I get to avoid idiots in the woods, except the time that I unwittingly wandered into a stretch of woods known for its lure as an isolated man-on-man sex facilitator. Sorry, fella: not my idea of "fun."

4. Writing that accomplishes something useful. Occasionally I write as a blogger or a journalist in a way that resonates with people, and their letters, emails, or comments thanking me for voicing their thoughts is quite rewarding. Now, if I could just figure out in advance the "valuable" pieces, I could make millions.

5. Performing a secret act of random kindness. There is a special satisfaction from knowing that you anonymously helped another person and your motivations were without self-interest. Of course, if I listed some examples, I would be cheapening the intrinsic rewards, and heck - just mentioning the fact that I practice RAK might be seen as a form of self-promotion.

6. Planting things and watching them grow. Often the fruits of gardening do not match our springtime dreams, but every year I learn new techniques and chunks of horticultural wisdom. Still, there is a Zen-like peacefulness associated with watering plants and pulling weeds that few hobbies can match.

7. A-HA moments in a classroom. I enjoy seeing the proverbial light bulbs light up over a student's head during a discussion, but I secretly learn as much from my students as they do from me: the lighting travels in two directions.

The following bloggers have been nominated as recipients of both the Zombie Chicken and Kreativ Blogger awards:

1. Hooda Thunkit
2. Lisa Renee
3. Tim Higgins
4. Roland Hansen
5. Valbee
6. Microdot
7. Man With the Mud Rake

Ignore the Zombie Chicken at your own peril, folks.


microdot said...

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.....

Levi said...

I appreciate your guidelines. It’s nice information for us.