Jun 13, 2009

Blowing Grains

While attending the 30th Birthday Party for Planned Pethood today, I came across a local bluegrass/country combo whose music might be better characterized as Americana. The group's name is Blowing Grains, and the bass player told me that they play around town at such venues as the Glass City Cafe and Woodchuck's Bar and Grill.

I listened for a few songs until my wife pulled me away to be more social, and I found Blowing Grains to be steeped in traditional American folk music without merely parroting traditional artists like Jimmie Rodgers and Bill Monroe. The fiddle player especially accents this timeless sound, and his style reminds me of the late, great Jerry Rivers (of Drifting Cowboys fame).

I closed my eyes, tapped my foot, and quietly added tenor harmonies to the group's selections, thinking back to a time when I passionately cared about music and kicked around bands and combos before I drifted away from playing music. A part of me longs to join such a relaxed group, while another "mature" part of me chides such frivolous pursuits. I trust that my "frivolous" part soon kicks the arse of my "responsible" self.

Anways, I highly recommend Blowing Grains if you come across the group.


Engineer of Knowledge said...

Hello Mike,
During my younger years I had played guitar in many Woodstock era rock bands. I later enjoyed and played blues / bluegrass music on an acoustic guitar at quitter venues and more importantly, for my own enjoyment. When my oldest daughter (she is now 28 and teaches algebra in high school) was young, her first songs that I had taught her were Rocky Top, Fox On The Run, Tennessee Stud, etc. Since then we have always bonded in music of all types. Good Posting and as I was reading yours, in my mind I was there with you.

Jim Styro said...

Dude, you should not deny the urge to make a good noise (as John Gorka called it).
You have talent - you may not have much time - but if the opportunity presents itself, you have got to blow.

historymike said...


I bounced around a bunch of would-be groups and combos in Detroit during the 1980s before finally ending up in a cover band that actually started clicking with a few PAYING gigs. Unfortunately, my move to Toledo dissolved my association with the group, which revolved around my employer at the time.

historymike said...


Thanks for the compliments. I remember well one of our most productive drunken efforts, a reggae version of "Amazing Grace." Your witty second verse still makes me laugh:

I looked for Jah in Kingston town,
While smoking many spliff.
It was a meager substitute
When I met Jimmy Cliff.

Engineer of Knowledge said...

The thing I like most about acoustic instrumentation was best said by Jerry Garcia. When they did a set with just acoustic guitars his comments to the audience was, “We will be playing quietly, you have to listen loud.”