Aug 17, 2009

Summer Thunderstorm

It is just a summer thunderstorm that I am experiencing as I write this post, just an ordinary opening of the heavens that results in a heavy downpouring of rain. Add in some hail and a fair amount of nearby lightning strikes, and the result is a storm that is both entertaining and, at times, a bit frightening.

Though I am a dedicated radar-watcher, the intensity of this afternoon's storm caught me off guard. Only an hour had passed since I last scanned the local radar, and what would develop into a moderate-sized cell was but a speck. I first noticed the storm as I was weeding, and the black clouds quickly rolled in and blotted out the sun.

So I shifted gears and decided to work on lecture prep as the clouds emptied much-needed water on my parched lawn and gardens. This is a storm best viewed from within the confines of my home, and I type this post on an unplugged laptop to avoid stray electrical spikes.

So I switch to a Beatles song to set the mood:

Rain, I don't mind.
Shine, the weather's fine.
I can show you that when it starts to rain,
(When the Rain comes down.)
Everything's the same.
(When the Rain comes down.)
I can show you, I can show you.
Rain, I don't mind.


microdot said...

Rain by the Beatles...

Mad Jack said...

The Beatles? That's the best you can do? Lamer. Try Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan:

Well it's floodin' down in texas
All of the telephone lines are down
It's floodin' down in texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I been tryin' to call my baby
Lord and I can't get a single sound

Including guitar work that would make John and George exchange their guitars for tambourines and start hanging out at airports.

Well I'm leavin' you baby
Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay
Yes I'm leavin' you baby
I'm goin' back home to stay
Well back home there no
floods or tornados
Baby and the sun shines every day

The Beatles. Ha! I sneer at The Beatles. ::sneer::


microdot said...

Mad Jack, the 1966 Revolver Album, the day the Lennon and McCartney songwriting duo turned their backs on rewriting the Lieber Stoller catalog and started to break all the rules and write new ones.
I still think that 1966, the year before the technicolor excesses of indulgent psychedelia drenching everything in multi tracked gloop, was arguably the most revolutionary year in the evolutiuon of modern pop.

Revolver might have been their finest hour....

That said, I think I'll put on some Stevie Ray!

Mad Jack said...

Revolver. Which includes Yellow Submarine, which I had forgotten about until just now. Now I have this ear worm running around in my head.